Welcome – get to know us and our history.
WHO WE ARE
Harbor-UCLA Medical Center is a 373 bed facility staffed by more than 4,000 dedicated individuals located in the South Bay area of Los Angeles. Harbor-UCLA is a public teaching hospital that is well known for its academic excellence and commitment to disadvantaged communities in Los Angeles.
A key to Harbor-UCLA’s ability to attract and retain many outstanding, experienced faculty physicians as well as to draw top residency candidates is its partnership with Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute (LA BioMed).
Harbor-UCLA has been affiliated with the UCLA School of Medicine since 1951. Today, the medical center is an important training ground with more than 300 full-time faculty physicians – all with a teaching appointment with UCLA’s School of Medicine — and 120 part-time faculty physicians, and 360 volunteer faculty physicians.
Harbor-UCLA attracts hundreds of top medical school graduates from across the nation each year. Because many of its graduating Resident Physicians and Fellows stay locally to practice medicine, Harbor-UCLA’s training programs are a continual and important source of new medical expertise for Southland communities.
A key to Harbor-UCLA’s ability to attract and retain many outstanding, experienced faculty physicians as well as to draw top residency candidates is its partnership with Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute (LA BioMed). This collaboration has resulted in the modern cholesterol test, important contributions to treatments for aneurisms, cancer, infectious diseases, pulmonary disorders, and other conditions, as well major clinical discoveries in perinatal, vaccine, and women’s care research.
For the past fifty years the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center has served the southwestern community of Los Angeles County. The original facility opened in 1943 as a U.S. Army station hospital.
In 1946 the U.S. Army sold the entire facility as war surplus to the Los Angeles County Department of Charities and became known as Harbor General Hospital when the county took over in 1946. The county later formed a partnership with UCLA / Geffen School of Medicine, which continues to run a teaching program at the facility.
Rising out of World War II barracks, the hospital is currently one of five level-one trauma centers in LA County. The 72-acre facility is composed of an 8-story, 553-bed hospital, and a 52,000 square foot Primary Care and Diagnostic Center in addition to a complex of buildings, wooden barracks, and trailers.